Sunday 6 February 2011

Life


Can't believe it's taken me this long to post about this. Although I did take a ridiculous amount of time to read it - my train journey to and from work is the only time I really have to concentrate on reading and I spend a lot of that time asleep...
The book lived up to my expectations, but I have to say in all honesty I closed the book at the end feeling a little diasppointed. I mean that in a positive way though - I wanted so much more! Obviously if he went into detail about every aspect of his life the book would need to be in volumes, so I guess that is to be expected. I loved how honest and open it was, particularly on the subject of drugs, rock and roll related antics - and Mick Jagger. I found one part particularly amusing - I won't give it away but it involves a wedding jacket, 'Lead Vocalist Syndrome', a right hook... and Charlie Watts - very unexpected!

What really endeared me to Keith even more was how, despite all of the groupies and women he was with, he really comes across as a respectful - shy even - kind of man when it comes to women (despite the fact he banged a lottt of chicks, when he fell in love he was really in love)

[on groupies] "It's not like I was collecting - I'm not Bill Wyman or Mick Jagger, noting down how many I've had. I'm not talking about shagging here. I've never been able to go to bed with a woman just for sex. I've no interest in that. I want to hug you and kiss you and make you feel good and protect you. And get a nice note the next day, stay in touch."


[on meeting Patti Hansen] "Unbelievably she is the most beautiful (physically) specimen in the WORLD. But that ain't it! It certainly helps but it's her mind, her joy of life and (wonders) she thinks this battered junkie is the guy she loves", "I'm kicking 40 and besotted."


And they're still married! A rare thing.

He also talk a lot about the music, techincal info on guitar playing and tuning and stories behind their most well known songs. "Angie", for example, was written when Keith was in a rehab clinic and Anita was down the road having Dandelion/Angela. I think it is commonly thought that Angie is about Angela or Anita, that was what I assumed, but he says it wasn't about any person in particular and he didn't even know at the time that they would call the kid Angela. I love to hear the stories behind songs.

Anyway, as I had hoped it was a brilliant read, so go read!

(The photo below of Keith and Patti is from a shoot by Lynn Goldsmith and my favourite set of image of Keith - I keep discovering new shots from this particular shoot on my internet image travels. If I ever manage to move out and get my own place I will be buying one of the prints to decorate my bedroom wall.)





1 comment:

Eri said...

Hi there,

Nice blog! Please come and have a look at my fashion blog too, visit PRETTY PORTOBELLO BLOG

See you soon.
x