Today has been spent designing for another blog project I am working on, so now my eyes feel slightly crossed. I am way too undecisive with fonts and colours and all that shizzle - I only ever end up going with minimalist black and white anyway!
Anyway, yesterday was my boyfriend's birthday and I baked up a bit of a storm. I'm usually a wiz at cupcakes but it was a bit of a disaster. Scales collapsing, resulting in bad mix and cupcakes that resembled yorkshire puddings. Round two - icing ran out.
The outcome, however, was pretty tasty and earned itself a new name - the 'Sham' cake (as we live in the 'sham (Caversham) and they were a big sham. If you would like to cook them for yourself here is the, slightly unusual, recipe!
1 LARGE CUP OF FLOUR (IF YOU WANT TO MAKE THEM WITH SCALES - 125G)
1 LARGE CUP OF CASTER SUGER (DITTO ABOVE)
125G OF BUTTER
A DASH OF MILK
HALF A TEASPOON OF VANILLA ESSENCE
HOW TO MAKE
1. BREAK YOUR SCALES, FORCING YOU TO MEASURE BY CUP
2. CREAM TOGETHER THE BUTTER AND CASTER SUGAR
3. ADD TWO EGGS, ONE BY ONE, AND MIX WITH THE BUTTER AND SUGAR, ADDING A SPOON OF FLOUR BETWEEN
4. ADD AN EXTRA EGG, JUST FOR THE HELL OF IT
5. ADD IN THE FLOUR, AND THEN A BIT MORE FLOUR THAN USUAL, JUST TO MAKE THEM A BIT MORE DRY Y'KNOW?
6. MIX TOGETHER
7. POUR INTO CUPCAKE CASES AND COOK AT 200 DEGREES FOR ABOUT 12 MINUTES (15 IF YOU WANT TO OVERCOOK THEM A BIT LIKE I DID)
8. AFTER TIME IS UP, TAKE OUT AND LEAVE TO COOL
9. START ICING WITH WHIPPY VANILLA ICING - UNTIL IT RUNS OUT AFTER ONLY A FEW CAKES
11. FIND EVERY KIND OF SUGARY SNACK IN THE KITCHEN, CHOCOLATE BASED IF POSSIBLE. WE FOUND ROLOS AND CHOCOLATE COINS
12. MELT IN A PAN WITH SOME SYRUP AND BUTTER
13. ADD SOME RICE CRISPIES (OR OTHER CEREAL) TO BULK UP
14. CHUCK IN TONS OF SPRINKLES SO IT DOESN'T LOOK COMPLETELY LIKE A PAN OF POO
15. SPREAD ON TOP OF THE CUPCAKES, ADD SOME MORE SPRINKLES AND...
VOILA! YOU HAVE MADE SOME SHAM CAKES! ALTHOUGH THEY MAY LOOK LIKE DUNG TOPPED FAIRY CAKES, THEY DO TASTE DIVINE. SOMETHING ABOUT THE CEREAL TOPPING - ADDS A GREAT CRUNCH. I'M BEING SERIOUS ABOUT OVER COOKING THEM A LITTLE. THE FACT THEY'RE A BIT DRY ACTUALLY WORKS WITH THE CRUNCHY TOPPING.